If your blog loads slow, you are loosing readers. In many countries, broadband internet is still a day dream and you should make sure that you do not have heavy pages.
You can use the following 10 tips to make sure that your blog stays fast:
- Choose A Good Host: If you have a self hosted blog, make sure that you choose a good host. because nothing can substitute for a bad web server!
- Reduce Sidebar Clutter: Do you have a sidebar with all kind of ads, chatter boxes and pictures pasted in it? Cut the clutter out and make sure that you only have bare essentials there.
- Choose A Right Sidebar Template: In most cases, the templates/themes with sidebar on left load sidebar content first. But hey, readers want content, not the pictures of your pet cat(if you have those in sidebar!) Make sure that the content loads first. This will help keeping a reader on site even if you have a big sidebar!
- Avoid Nested Tables: Do not use tables within tables. These take lot of time to display properly. Also, make sure to check that your blog uses a tableless design.
- Avoid Lot Of Ads: Lot of ads can increase page loading times. Keep number of ads less.
- Use Caching Plugins: If you use WordPress, make sure you install a good caching plugin. Basically, these plugin store output pages as static HTML files(which are lighter and hence faster) and serve them to visitors.
- Avoid Auto-Play: Auto playing audio/video start streaming as soon as the page is requested. ON slower connections, this may be a big irritant and slow down your blog a lot!
- Delete plugins: If you lot of inactive plugins, make sure to delete them. Inactive WordPress plugins can slow down your blog. Also, delete any unnecessary plugins that you do not need(but are active!)
- Test Test Test: Test your website loading times by using free tools like Site-Perf.com etc. See the areas in which your blog lacks and improve them.
Have any other tips in mind? Please Share Them In Comments.