SEO is an acronym that stands for search engine optimization, which is the process of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your site from search engines. Generally, the higher your website ranks in the search engines, the more traffic you receive.
The process of applying Search Engine Optimization (SEO) practices to your site relies on understanding both sides of the system so you know how search engines work, how to use them effectively, and what your target audience searches for.
Need a short introduction to the basic elements that make your website attractive to search engines? Don’t know what search engine optimization is? Know someone who needs easy to understand overview of SEO? That’s what this video provides, in three minutes. It’s part of the many resources provided by Search Engine Land’s “What Is SEO” page and the video was created withCommon Craft,which has many other great, short explanatory videos like this one.
What Is Search Engine Optimization / SEO In 3 Minutesis a video that uses a recipe analogy to explain the importance of search engine rankings and what can help your site achieve higher rankings. It teaches:
- How search engines evaluate websites
- The importance of words and titles in rankings
- The importance of quality links and content
Good SEO is about making sure your website has great content that supported by the ingredients that search engines need for their recipes. Sites with a consistent record of fresh engaging content and growing numbers of quality links may be considered rising stars and do well in search rankings. — Lee LeFever
The 5 important points that we take away from this video are:
- Words matter
- Titles matter
- Links between websites matter
- Words used in links (anchor text) matter too
- Search engines care about reputation
What Is Search Engine Optimization / SEO In 3 Minutes
In Preparing Your Search by Debbie Flanagan explains that search engines crawl the Web and log the words from the web pages they find in their databases. They are popular tools for locating web pages, but they often return thousands of results. Successful searching involves two key steps.
- You must have a clear understanding of how to prepare your search. You must identify the main concepts in your topic and determine any synonyms, alternate spellings, or variant word forms for the concepts.
- You need to know how to use the various search tools available on the Internet.
- By spending a few minutes clarifying your search, you can increase your chances of finding what you need fast and effectively.
Web Search Strategies in Plain Englishis a video that introduces the best ways to use search engines to find information on the Web. It uses real-world examples that illustrate ways to reduce useless results and includes:
- How search engines work
- Picking the right key words
- Using quotes and the minus sign
- Combinations of strategies
By being specific, and using words and symbols that remove useless information, you can find exactly what you need, and keep the Web from swallowing you whole. — Lee LeFever
The important points that we take away from this video are:
- To be a smart searcher, you should know some basic shortcuts.
- You need a way to reduce the number of results so you can find what you need.
Web Search Strategies in Plain English
SEO Optimization – Key Factors
1. Write blog content for your readers and be consistent when it comes to applying basic SEO techniques.
2. Use keyword title and sub-title optimization.
3. Use but do not overuse relevant keywords in your posts and tagging. Take the time to carefully select anchor text when you link to related posts within your niche knowing that links to your sources are important for at least four reasons: Verifiability, Acknowledgment, Examples, Context.
4. Make sure your new posts deep link to your older related posts.
5. Optimize your images.
Is your blog search engine optimized?
If you are using a WordPress.com theme good SEO is a given. However, going beyond the theme what the blogger has done within that structure is worth evaluating. Whether you writeinformative,persuasiveorcontroversialcontent learning how search engines work, and how to apply basic SEO to you content will benefit your blog as it will increase traffic from targeted reders.