Are you trying to promote your blog but don’t know where to start? Or are you starting t0 promoting your blog but not getting expected results? Guess what, blog promotion doesn’t need to be rocket science.
Trying any promotional method won’t work unless you have good content ready on your blog. So, it’s best to write a bit and then start promotion.
- Commenting: Commenting on popular blogs can attract some targeted visitors to your blog. Try leaving your comment in first or second place to get maximum benefit. And yes, your comments should not suck!
- Comment luv: Commenting on comment luv enabled blogs is a step further. Comment luv enabled blogs will display title of your latest blog post after your comment and if it’s something interesting, people will visit!
- Forums: Forums can be a great way to learn new things and attracting traffic. Similar to comments, leave useful information and people will visit your blog. And don’t forget to add your blog in your signature.
- Guest Posting: Yes, it’s not that simple but it works best for promotion. Just try guest posting on a popular blog and you will see the effect.
- Top Commentators Widget: Many blogs have a top commentators widget in sidebar. It is a good idea to comment on these and get your name there because that will add link to your blog from blog easily without having to guest post.
- Direct Pitch: Asking someone to check out your latest post and link to it if it’s useful is a good strategy. However, just make sure that you do not do it with every post.
- Link Exchange: Link exchange is a bit old but many bloggers still use it. The process is simple, you place a link in your sidebar to a blog and in return, the blog owner also links to you similarly.
- List Posts: List posts are always effective! Write a good one and then promote it a bit. It will help in getting new subscribers and visitors.
- Grab My Button: Just add a “Grab my Button” widget to your blog’s sidebar and readers who like you and your blog will add it to their blog. Free advertising!
- Paid Advertising: If you don’t have much time for promotion, try buying some ads on a popular blog/website. This can drive lot of traffic ( in exchange for a lot of money!)
- Facebook: Creating a Facebook fan page will help adding a new dimension to your blog. By having a presence on Facebook, you can easily grab new visitors.
- Twitter: Twitter is another good source of traffic. Create a twitter account for your blog and do not just tweet latest posts, add something else. For example, we regularly post 140 Character Blogging Tips on our twitter account@bwsteam.
- Social Bookmarking Icons: Adding social media icons to bottom of the posts is another effective method. You can use any good WordPress plugin or services like Share This for other platforms.
- E-Mail List: Having a newsletter where you can send latest posts or promotional messages is a good way to get traffic from existing subscribers. Just tell them what’s special in the post and they will come.
- Apture Toolbar: Apture toolbar is a great promotional tool. You can use it to let your readers share articles on Facebook, Twitter and via mail. And since it appears at top of your blog, it grabs attention quickly.
- Directory Submission: You can submit your blog to different blog directories to get some links. It is best to submit to directories that do not require a link back!
- Your Profiles: Add link to your blog from each and every profile you have around the internet and people will check it out (only if you are helpful, that is!).
- Join A Community: Social bookmarking sites are good source of traffic. Join one and start participating. Soon, you will have good traffic. It’s best to start with upcoming communities instead of bigger sites like Digg because it’s easy to learn and share in a small community! Blog Engage and Bloggeries Blog Forum are good places to start.
- Email Signatures: How many emails do you send each day? 100+? Then add a signature to bottom of each one and you can easily spread the word. It is best to add this in your email service so it is automatically inserted after every mail.
- Design: A good and unique design promotes itself. Spend some time to design your blog properly and you will soon see the effect!
So, these were 20 simple tips to promote your blog. If you have some more tips in mind, do not forget to share in comments!