What is “Monetizing a Blog”? Monetizing means “the process of converting or establishing something into legal tender” ( Source: Wikipedia) When it comes to blogs, we can safely say that it is the process of earning money from a blog.
Why should you monetize your blog?
- Domain: A short domain is always better for your visitors. But are “XXXXXX.blogspot.com” domains short? So, advertise a bit on your blog and get some money for a new domain.
- I.S.P. Bills: Whoever you are, your I.S.P.(Internet Service Provider) has not given you a free unlimited Internet connection. All the searches you do to gather information for new posts will cost you. Advertisements can get you enough to pay the bill.
- Promotion: “Content is King” seems the most used phrase about blogging. But as the real King needs to have people who accept him, content needs readers. Free promotion works well but a few dollars spent on promotion can be worth every bit. If you do not want to spend money on ads, just organise a contest to attract new readers.
- Bandwidth: If you give away free e-books or design templates, then you are familiar with the bandwidth problems especially in the last days of month. Earn a bit and spend it for a premium account with unlimited bandwidth.
- Design: While numerous free themes and templates are available out there, premium themes are in a league of their own. And as far as I know, premium templates cost money!
- Newsletters: Newsletters are useful once your blog is popular and you are established as “someone” with knowledge in a niche. Tell people about updates and exclusive offers with your newsletter. You can do the same with RSS feeds but too many posts about updates are not good. They will also get you off the main topic.
- New Stuff: Who does not love new stuff? Earn from your blog and get a new PC(Personal Computer)/PMP(Portable Music Player) for yourself or just buy anything you want to.
- It’s Free: Gone are the days when you had to invest thousands to earn hundreds from the Internet. Now, you can set up a free blog in less than two minutes and be ready to earn from it. All it takes is a pen, err…. Keyboard and some time.
How can you monetize your Blog?
It is not very difficult. You need to sign up with an Ad-Network. Once your blog is accepted you can create ad spaces for which they will give you a referrer code. Place the code as a widget or layout element and you are ready to go. You can start monetizing your blog right now.
Blogger lets you monetize your blog for free while other platforms do not.