In this article, I will be teaching and showing you a little background about SEO and its terminologies. By definition, SEO or Search Engine Optimization is the process of optimizing for the best possible ranking in search results. There are so many SEO processes and techniques but right now, I am going to focus on those key terms that you will need to know (or see discussed alot)
So, the top 7 terms list
1. Anchor Text is the specific text for a hyperlink. Example would be to write Google to name its hyperlink http://www.google.com
2. Inbound links are links that point to your site. The number of links represents the link popularity of your website. The more inbound links you have, the better.
3. Link popularity is one of the most important things when it comes to SEO. Link popularity shows the number of links that point to your site. Link popularity increases your search engine rankings / placements thru the quality and quantity of your links.
4. Keyword is the quintessential piece of information of the site context. They’re important for both sides – to the site owners and the search engine users. The owners need them to get identified properly by the search engine spiders, the search engines use keywords to find the information that people want.
5. Spiders (crawlers) are search engine programs that follow the links and send the data to the search engine database for the further analysis like indexing site content, keywords used for the content and the site, etc.
6. META tags are specific HTML tags used at the top of the page. The main purpose of having these META tags is to provide the additional information on the web page for the spiders to read it. The most important tag is the Keywords tag along with the Description tag.
7. PageRank is Google’s own evaluation rating system for ranking pages of your site. For the sake of clarification for the new bloggers, your pages will get different PR’s. Pages will be rated from 0 – 10, 10 being the highest and 0 being the lowest. So if your index or home page gets a PR 2, don’t expect your other pages to get the same PR as well. It may take time for your other pages to get their PRs.
Remember, there are tons of more complicated and specific terms that SEO people use. But now, you are now familiar with the basics of the important SEO terminologies – terminology which are very crucial for beginners and amateurs. I hope this helps you understanding the more important SEO terms that you need to be familiar with.