You have heard about Mommy bloggers, Daddy bloggers, Teen bloggers, and Pro bloggers. Yet, I can bet you have never heard about “Sleepy” Bloggers! I can bet because this is a shiny new term given by me! Let’s leave these terms and talk about what you are here for, “Sleepy” Bloggers.
Who are “Sleepy” Bloggers?
Sleepy bloggers are those who blog about something, but don’t take time to update themselves with new information in the niche. They just keep writing posts based on same old information they had seen some years back. This causes harm to their reputation (when someone with updated info comments on the post) and to readers who trust them as information source.
Are You a Sleepy Blogger?
Ask these questions to yourself and you will know if you are a sleepy blogger or not:
- Do I have to often update my posts after someone contacts me about old facts?
- Do I have the latest information on the topic?
- Do I know of a creditable source who can be trusted for this information.
How to Avoid being a Sleepy Blogger?
If you feel like your recent posts have had outdated information, you need to wake up and do some basic things to have posts with up-to-date information next time:
1. Use Google’s Blog Search: Problem with most search engines is that they pay more importance to stuff that has been there for a long time. So, in most cases, you will see an old article from 2006 on top rather than a new one. Moreover, many blogs (including us) also do not include date in permalink structure. This means you have no idea of when article was written until you visit the blog. Blog Search, however shows when articles were written.
2. Subscribe: Stay subscribed to some big blogs even if you do not read them. Many will write about new platform updates and new resources. These can be referenced in your post.
3. Think outside Niche: Even if you have chosen the topic to write about, it does not mean that you can not think of anything outside it. Make sure you read about new technologies which can have use in your niche.
4. Be Socially Active: Do not be a loner. Participate in forums and social networking sites for bloggers.
5. Respond to Comments and Contacts: Do not make readers feel as if they are commenting on a dead blog. Respond to their comments. This will keep discussions going on and in between, you will find many new ideas for future posts.
What do you have to say? Any tips for not being a Sleepy Blogger?