Ever written a great article or blog post and been disappointed by the response? Maybe you’ve got a website full of great content, but you just can’t convince your visitors to stay on the page. It could be that your HEADLINES simply aren’t sufficiently compelling – and that’s something you can easily fix.
Writing great headlines is one of the most important copywriting skills you can learn. The quality of your headline is critical – it has the power to determine whether your reader will keep reading or move on. When someone lands on your page or article, the first thing they’ll see is theHEADLINE. Just think about how you read a newspaper or magazine – aren’t your eyes drawn to the headlines first? And what makes you pick out which articles to read? You’ve got it – the HEADLINES!
How would you like to create irresistible headlines guaranteed to grab your reader’s attention? Headline writing is a copywriting skill that’s well worth cultivating and you don’t have to start from scratch. If you want to spice up your headlines, there are some simple blueprints you can easily adapt – tried and tested formulas that work.Try these out and you’ll soon be writing headlines like a pro!
5 headline copywriting tricks that work
- THE “QUESTION“ HEADLINE:Question headlines are great because they make people curious – if you come up with a question your readers are going to want to know the answer to, you’re onto a sure-fire winner. For example: “Do You Make These Common Copywriting Mistakes?” – chances are, they’ll be dying to find out if they do, so they’ll read on!
- THE ”HOW TO“ HEADLINE:Don’t make the mistake of discounting this golden oldie – I know you see it everywhere, but it’s popular for one good reason – it works!!The tried and tested ‘how to’ headline almost never fails. For example:“How To Play Guitar Even If You Can’t Read Music”.People are often searching the web precisely because they want to find out ‘how to’ do something – so give them what they want!
- THE “NUMBERED“HEADLINE:Numbered list headlines are very effective because they offer your reader digestible bite-sized content. They contain the promise of valuable, focused, ‘quantifiable’ information. I’m not sure what it is about numbers, but they lend a certain air of authority. People just love ‘em! For example:“Top 10 Ways Make Money Online”.or“7 Cool Tricks to Teach Your Dog”.
- THE ”WHO ELSE?” HEADLINE:This headline works very well because, human nature being what it is, people hate to feel they might be ‘missing out’ on what someone else has got. For example:“Who Else Wants to Lose Weight Without Going on a Diet?”
- THE “WEIRD TRICK” HEADLINE:This headline is irresistible because it suggests you’ve got a strange trick up your sleeve that’s going to solve your reader’s problem. For example:“One Weird Trick For Curing Panic Attacks”.
Copywriting isn’t that complicated – it’s just a case of knowing what works. Use these proven formulas to tantalize, tempt, tease and intrigue your readers with your very own ‘killer’ headlines.